What Products Are Safe for My Pet | Dr. Killigan’s
What is Safe to Use on or Around Your Pets?
The last thing on someone’s mind when they are considering pet ownership is the work it will take to own a pet. Their hearts are filled with puppy dog kisses, curled up balls of fur at the foot of the bed, and the loyalty of a lifelong companion. They never give thought to the hitchhikers their new friend will smuggle into the home. The day will come when Fido or Fluffy will raise their hind legs and scratch away. Only then will the fur parent become aware of the issue. However, their love will be the pet’s saving grace. They will long to take the pain away and want to know what is safe to use on or around their new pet.
Pests That Bug Your Pets
The first thing you will need to know is if the scratching is due to a flea or a tick. These parasitic insects are similar in how they attack your furry buddy, but they do have their differences.
- Fleas – Fleas are about 1/8th of an inch and reddish-brown to black in color. They live off the blood they get from biting your pet. You can find them moving around through the fur using a fine-toothed comb.
- Ticks – Ticks are about the size of fleas and are black. They behave quite differently. A flea will remain with one host its whole life; a tick can jump from one to another quite frequently. A flea will bite multiple times in different locations. A tick will generally remain stationary once attached.
Both fleas and ticks carry various diseases like tapeworm, anemia, Lyme disease, and other parasitic allergic disorders. It becomes important to find and treat your pet as soon as you discover they have fleas or ticks. Not only for their health but yours as well. Ticks not only affect your pet’s health, but they carry certain diseases that affect a human’s health if they choose to bite you.
Common Methods That are Used Around Pets
Your first reaction might be to grab an over the counter spray, shampoo, or collar and douse your pet, then assume the problem is solved. However, sometimes we do more harm than good when we fail to consider what is in the treatment we are using. In this case, the health hazard is passed on from the pet to you, or to another loved one in the home: a child or someone you are caring for in the household.
Pest control products have ‘active ingredients’ that do their job on the flea and tick, but they often carry warning labels lined with harmful chemicals.
- Collars – These can be messy to you as a pet parent. Just handling them sounds hazardous. If a pet gets hold of it and chews on it, it could make them seriously ill. And definitely not an option if you have kids. Studies have also shown that collars are not as effective as they are advertised.
- Sprays – Not only can a sprays fumes be toxic, but anything the mist lands on now needs to be cleaned before it is used again. Another main concern is overuse or misreading the directions. Also, many products use chemicals like Pyrethrins. This common ingredient is somewhat safe for dogs but is harmful to cats. Then to top it off the spray remains on your pet leaving them wondering why you won’t get near them. There is also the who else is in the home factor to consider.
- Dips and Shampoos – These can also fall into the same category as sprays, thinking it is one for all and safe for all. With shampoos, there is a residual chemical that remains on the pet. When you give your little friend love, that remaining chemical gets on you and could possibly make you ill if you don’t wash up properly.
But you will be relieved to know that there is a safe way to rid your pet of fleas and ticks.
The Method That is Safe for Pets
Most flea and tick control methods are advertised as safe, but as we have seen, this is far from accurate. There is only one way to be sure, and that is to take out all the chemicals that are in the remedies and to use natural products.
Dr. Killigan’s has developed an on-contact flea and tick spray that uses no harsh chemicals. It is developed from a blend of clove and cottonseed oils that will help rid your pet of the pests that make them itch, naturally. Six Feet Under ™ will dispose of fleas and ticks at all stages of the life cycle. Since the product is all natural, you will not have to refrain from the hugs or cuddles that you would avoid due to the chemical-based remedies.
The Final Word
At Dr. Killigan’s, we are dedicated to perfecting the art of Killing Them Softly™. This motto is a reminder to our customers and us that we never use harsh chemicals. We are pledged to value you and your pet’s health, but to never forget your style. All our products are 100% toxin-free and safe to use on and around your pet. They are also tastefully designed. If you are not satisfied for any reason, please contact us. We will not hesitate to make things right.