Home Remedies For Wasp Stings
HOME REMEDIES FOR WASP STINGS
Wasps have a rude habit of inviting themselves to outdoor parties, picnics, and barbecues. While they are usually not aggressive in nature (some are more aggressive than others), they will not hesitate to sting a person or animal that they feel is a threat to themselves or to their nest.
While bees have barbed stingers that will actually cause their guts to be ripped out when they sting, wasps only have a tiny barb on their stingers. This means that wasps can sting multiple times without dying. Because of this, it is important to be able to identify wasps so that you can steer clear of them. Read this blog to learn more about the different types of wasps and what they look like.
If you have been stung by a wasp and the symptoms are on the medium or mild side, here are a few things you can do to ease the pain of the sting and to speed along the healing process.
- Wash the sting using soap and water. This will help to remove some of the venom and prevent an infection.
- Ice the sting to reduce inflammation.
- Use a cream – hydrocortisone cream and calamine lotion are some options to reduce inflammation of the skin.
- Rub a slice of cucumber over the sting. Cucumbers naturally constrict body tissue, so using a cucumber on a sting will help to reduce pain and to cool the site of the sting.
- Garlic and onion can be used on the sting to reduce pain.
- Use pain killers, such as ibuprofen or tylenol, if you are experiencing a significant amount of pain.
- Cover the sting with a bandage to reduce the chances of infection.
Wasp stings are alkaline, so the stings should be neutralized by using acidic substances. Acidic substances which can be used to neutralize a wasp sting include:
- Apple cider vinegar
- Lemon juice
If you have been stung by a wasp and the symptoms are severe or you are allergic to the venom, seek medical attention immediately. On very very rare occasions, multiple wasp stings can cause anaphylactic shock which can be fatal. While it is unlikely this will happen, it is good to be on the safe side and seek medical attention if you believe you might be allergic.
TAKE CARE OF THE PROBLEM
If you have been stung because of a nearby nest, it is important to take care of the problem to prevent further injuries. Read this blog for more information on how to get rid of wasps. Happy eradicating!
What are Wasps?
How to Get Rid of Wasps